Samsung Gear S3 Classic Smartwatch
Taking all of the best features from other generations of Gear S watches and putting them into one, they created the Samsung Gear S3 Classic model smartwatch. Whether you’re the tech-savvy type or the curious first-timer this user-friendly device incorporates fun characteristics with high levels of productivity to make your life a little easier. This rather large timepiece incorporates a rotating, futuristic looking bezel for smooth navigation within the watch and is Bluetooth compatible with Android and iOS phones. Make phone calls, send messages or emails right from your wrist and download social apps to stay connected with this truly wearable smart device. Conveniently pay for items using Samsung Pay and track your physical activity with the real-time heart rate monitor or step counter. It pairs all of these excellent features and more with a great touch screen, stainless steel casing, scratch resistant durability, and a long-lasting battery all wrapped up in smart ‘Classic’ look. Is this the right choice for you? We will help you decide below in our review.
- Sleek design
- Easy to use interface with touchscreen
- Strong Bluetooth or LTE capabilities
- Replaceable 22mm band
- Long-lasting battery life
- Water resistant
- Works well with Samsung Pay
- Bulky watch face
- Lacks third-party app support
- Limited use for iOS devices
- This is a great choice for anyone who wants to stay connected but can't always keep their phone accessible.
- The mic and speaker work well.
- Reviewers like that it looks like a traditional watch rather than a tech-heavy smartwatch.
- There is a good selection of watch faces available.
- The setup is simple.
- It has a nice, high resolution display.
- The rotating bezel is efficient and intuitive.
- Making and receiving phone calls is easy and the sound is clear.
- You can receive and respond to text messages.
- Using this as a fitness tracker creates a great motivator to stay active and reach fitness goals.
- Spotify and Uber apps are available to use.
- Since its release, buyers have liked the updates.
- If you pair your phone, you are able to use it to locate your watch if you misplaced it.
- Notifications can be customized for what you want.
- Reviewers say that many features are user-friendly such as the calendar, alarms, navigation, etc.
- The band can be changed, and there are many other bands available on the market.
- Using Samsung Pay through the watch is super convenient.
- Activating the display usually only takes a turn of the wrist so it doesn't always have to be on.
- This device is helpful in an emergency if you need to call someone but can't get to your phone.
- The material of the band is stiff.
- The voice command feature tends to lag.
- There are limited apps available compared to other smartwatches.
- The watch face is large.
- Although water resistant, it is not fully waterproof.
- Some of the settings drain the battery quickly.
- Some reviewers report problems with S Voice not working properly.
- After some updates, buyers have noticed issues with a few features.
- This watch is designed for right-handed people.
- The size and weight are not ideal for people with small wrists.
- Using this watch with non-Samsung devices has resulted in problems with full functionality.
- The included instructions for the watch and apps are minimal. Reviewers have had to look up other online resources.
- There are some complaints that the watch can factory reset occasionally on its own.
- A few reviewers complain of bad customer service experiences with Samsung about problems with this smartwatch.
- Some buyers are disappointed in the Tizen OS.
The Gear S3 Classic is connected through Bluetooth so you can receive texts, emails, and app alerts without reaching for your phone. With Samsung Pay, you can also easily make payments without your phone or wallet, use the S3 anywhere a credit card can be swiped or tapped. Samsung Pay will not work with an inserted card reader such as an atm or gas pump. You will be able to make and answer calls hands-free with a built-in microphone and speaker. This feature has helped many online customers stay connected and safely talk on the phone while driving.
On the plus side, the S3 has some impressive built-in apps customers can't stop talking about. S Voice, Samsungs voice search option works very well in making it easy to set reminders, alarms, make calls, text, or open apps. This hands-free capability acts as your virtual assistant and gives you more time to focus on your everyday tasks.
A built-in GPS will work without your phone, it tracks your activity while working with the background heart rate monitor and step counter app called S Health. This syncs with your phone to set walking goals, log water or coffee intake, and track sleeping patterns all while monitoring heart rate. The GPS offers accurate navigation and makes it easy to share your location whether you’re off-roading or exploring a new densely packed city.
Other noteworthy built-in apps include efficient Weather predictions, a music player you can download music onto and use with a Bluetooth headset, a Scheduler keeping you on time, and a World Clock updating during time zone changes that can be handy during travel.
A version of this watch is available with LTE if you have a current wireless plan with Verizon, AT&T, or T-Mobile. This life upgrade gives you the ability to completely leave your phone at home while still having access to its features. The prices of those versions may vary with an added fee to your monthly plan. It is worth it for some who prefer the untethered feel but online users comment on the Bluetooth enabled model with the phone nearby fitting their needs well.
A dedicated wireless charging cradle is how this device gets its power. A magnet holds the watch in place and it comes equipped with a LED indicator to notify you when your device is fully charged. The cradle needs to be plugged in so that means finding a place at home for it to sit and you are kind of stuck to using it in that stationary position until its charged. There is also no option for attaching the watch directly to a cable so on-the-go charging isn't really an option.
Ease of Use
An issue with switching to the digital age of smartwatches is their likelihood to diminish in battery life with prolonged use and the need for replacement is more frequent. New technology comes out all the time that is newer and flashier than the last but with gentle care and regular updates of this technology it only gets better. The issues with iOS devices not being able to access the full features of the S3 is another downside that knocks it down a peg. Despite all of that, this is the watch is sure to make you want to retire the old timepiece and step into the future. If you’re looking to get into the smartwatch game for the first time or simply expand your collection, this watch is for you.