Salomon Quest Prime GTX
If you enjoy hiking, chances are you’re looking to expand your hiking boot collection on a regular basis, or replacing a pair of trusted, but worn out boots. It can be tough to find the right pair for your hiking style and needs.
One pair of boots that you might want to consider taking a closer look at for your next pair of hiking boots is the Salomon Quest Prime GTX Hiking Boot. They are available in both men’s and women’s sizing, and are well suited to the average foot size, with some of the larger sizes able to accommodate wider feet. These boots are designed to work well in nearly every terrain or climate and were made with the idea of the athletic hiker in mind.
Below is our detailed review of the Salomon Quest Prime GTX hiking boot, including discussions on its components, quality of construction, overall comfort, fit, and performance, and where you can find the best pair for you if you decide to make a purchase.
- Extremely lightweight
- Comfortable to wear
- Lacing system allows for a great customized fit
- Good protection from the elements through Gore-Tex lining and boot construction
- Fantastic overall grip and tread.
- Fairly Durable
- Not always true to size.- some found they ran a bit large
- Not truly waterproof, only highly water resistant.
- So far I have worn these boots close to 300 miles and I have no complaints. For the type of work that I do these are holding up well. I wanted a boot that would offer protection and comfort and this is that boot. I love how they stay dry and how extremely comfortable they are.
- I got my first pair of boots about a year ago and any time that I can find these at a good price I jump. I have a wide foot and these shoes only came in medium but they fit perfectly. These boots are extremely comfortable and very light. I love them and I would highly recommend them.
- I have put about a hundred miles on these boots between two hiking trips. These boots are amazing. My feet stay snug at the ankle and no blisters at all. I can hike in any type of weather wet or dry and these boots hold up well. They keep water out. The heel really absorbs the impact and provide stability.
- I love my Salomon boots because they're very comfortable and they are made well and true to size.
- I brought my husband three pairs of boots all different brands and this brand is the one that he likes the most. He said that they are very comfortable and supportive. And the grip on these shoes are phenomenal. Waterproof and a roomy toe box you can't go wrong.
- I can be really hard on my shoes and boots and the quality of Salomon Quest Prime GTX meets my demands. The quality material is well made and constructed. When you feel like you live in your boots the comfortable design is amazing. These boots have great traction for almost all terrains.
- These boots are the first pair of hiking boots and are exactly what I am looking for in a boot. I am not a regular backpacker but I wanted extreme comfort and a lightweight boot with great tread and this boot is it. They do take a day or so to break in.
- I am a true fan, this is my 3rd pair. These are the best boots in my opinion for my landscaping work.
- My friend first recommended these boots to me and I am currently now on my fourth pair. These are the most comfortable shoes or boots I've ever worn. These are awesome for hiking but I also wear them to work. Very supportive and very stable.
- My son says that these are the nicest boots that he ever had and he just loves them. He says that the bottoms are very grippy
- Exceptional support and comfort directly out of the box.
- These boots have held up very well even after over a hundred miles. With over 40 lb on my back these boots have supported me well on very tough terrain. They keep moisture out and they're very durable. I've used these a lot and they barely show use. These shoes were built to last.
- These Salomon Quest Prime GTX are great for hiking. They offer great support and amazing comfort. I highly recommend these for hiking in Joshua Tree and Yosemite.
- This is a very comfortable boot and it has spectacular traction.. All-around awesome boot that doesn't require a lot of break In time.
- Right from the start these boots felt good. As soon as I put them on I experienced the comfort and great grip.
- Salomon boots are the best boots for my feet. These are my 2nd pair.
- Awesome boots!!!! Durable and extremely comfortable. Waterproof and breathable. They felt great on my feet from the first time that I wore them.
- These boots are comfortable all day and they are so durable. I absolutely love them and I am a customer for life.
- I purchased these boots as a gift for my hubby and he says they are extremely comfortable. In fact, he raves about them.
- Did a nine mile hike in these boot out of the box and the terrain was icy and hilly. My feet were dry while my friend's toes were wet in her boots.
- Some buyers complained that the eyelet ripped too soon
- Other buyers talked about the sizing being off.
The traditional lacing system turned out to be a nice change of pace overall when it came to comfort, allowing the wearer to easily adjust the tension on both the ankle area and the instep area for a more customized fit. What’s more, the strong lacing hooks allowed the tension to remain in place, even after going through rough terrain where the laces of lesser made boots would have come looser or even untied.
As far as the look for these boots, we don’t expect them to be winning any fashion contests, but they do have a classic color style and clean lines that would probably appeal to the more pragmatic among us. They feature metal lacing eyelets, strong, closely spaced stitching, and a nice mix of fabrics and leather to prove a modern utilitarian look.
In addition, these boots provide a good deal of protection to both the heel and toe area, using both a synthetic toe guard and a heel sleeve, something that isn’t always seen in hiking boots in this price range. What’s more, these features don’t add a whole lot of weight to the overall shoe, which is a nice touch.
Comparison to other brands
Many people and users claimed that the boot was waterproof. While we certainly marveled at how well this boot worked in wet conditions, we have to say, we didn’t find it to be truly waterproof, as compared to boots that were designed to work in submerged conditions. The mix of fabric and leather in the uppers, as well as the seams were simply overwhelmed in those situations. However, for stepping through puddles, wading through streams, or other temporary encounters with water, this boot did remarkably well.