Patagonia R1 Fleece Hoody
The Patagonia R1 Fleece Hoody for men is a hooded, mid-layer jacket; it is form-fitting, and soft on the skin. It is a good weight for plenty of outdoor conditions and activities, such as hiking, climbing, and running. Made of durable and long-lasting polyester and spandex materials, it is breathable, stretchable, and compressible. When used as part of a layering system for warmth and body heat retention, it provides superior breathability, quick venting, and odor control. The permanent Polygiene odor control will wick away moisture before it builds up and keeps you dry and warm. This outstanding jacket will protect the body for any activity or sports that require clothes layering for warmth. When used alone, this excellent hoody gives the same amount of heat as a bulky fleece covering. For backpacks and duffels, the R1 Fleece packs easily, as it is compressible and lightweight. Because it is so versatile, it can be used instead of other similar fleece jackets that cannot double as both a mid-layer and a stand-alone jacket. To aid in dressing and layering comfortably, the sleeves have thumb holes to keep the sleeves straight and tight. For one of the best laying garments on the market currently, this Patagonia product is hard to beat for layering ability, weight, and breathability. We will look at each of these terrific qualities in greater detail now.
- Has permanent Polygiene odor control
- Includes quick venting with the half-zip front zipper
- Provides superior breathability and wicking control
- Has thumb holes on the sleeves for warmth
- Made of polyester and spandex materials that are stretchable
- Is a terrific mid-layer that is hooded and versatile
- Good to use for layering or alone
- Use for any sport or activity that is aided with layering
- Provides the same degree of warmth as a bulky fleece
- Packs easily because it is compressible and lightweight
- There are other models that are the same weight but warmer
- Does not do a good job at weather or wind resistance
- This is a perfect gift and the perfect weather layer.
- My son is an avid outdoorsman, he is a fisherman in Alaska. He asked for this hoody specifically for his birthday. He is very happy with his gift. I am even thinking about purchasing one for myself.
- I like that this looks good but it is also very functional and great at keeping the skin dry. I can wear the hoody alone or layered.
- This hoody is great for keeping me warm at climbing sites. I wish it had pockets but I like that I can barely feel that I have it on.
- I love the thumb slots which creates a glove effect. I like that this hoody can be worn in different ways. Great to throw into my bag when the days warm up and great to pull out for chilly mornings. If you prefer a roomier fit order a size up because it is true to size and form fitting.
- The Patagonia R1 Fleece Hoody can do it all. It holds body heat in very well and also light enough when the weather is warmer. The hood is fitted so be prepared for that.
- Climbing in the morning with this jacket has been nice and warm. Light and room to move. I couldn't be happier.
- I love these R1s so much that this is my sixth one. It's my go-to piece for layering. It's always with me, either on my body or in my pack.
- Got this jacket for my son who loves it. It fits him perfectly and he loves the color. Very comfortable. Thinking about getting him another one.
- It's steller, all the reviews were correct. The fit may not be for everyone and it does get pretty warm. Awesome for climbing.
- I am a tall guy so I love that this jacket is longer than most mid-layer jackets. Sometimes finding clothes that are the right length is difficult. Also, love that the zipper goes all the way up to my nose. Good ventilation.
- This hoody fits and feels great. It's more fitted than I usually go for but it fits under other clothes as a layer nicely. Love the thumb holes. The Patagonia R1 Fleece Hoody is helping grow my outerwear collection.
- Got this hoody for a trip to Iceland and I wore it so many times. Awesome mid weight hoody and feels true to size. Fits nicely as a base layer.
- My husband loves anything by Patagonia, so this made a great gift to him. Loves the thumb holes and the hood that fits snugly around his head.
- This is the perfect layer because it is warm and not bulky. Great for all outside activities, such as backpacking, snowboarding, skiing, running etc. And it's long enough for us tall folk.
- My go-to piece of clothing for high output activities. Perfect for layering and it not too cold or too hot. Do yourself a favor and purchase one for yourself. You just might find that it goes with you on every adventure.
- Got this about a year ago and wear it all the time, for climbing, backpacking, or just around town. The shape is still in tack and it washing well. Still fits great.
- This Patagonia piece is my must have on any trip backcountry. Love the zipper and how long it is. The hood fits great. This will get tons of wear.
- This is my 2nd R1, got my first one a year ago and there wasn't anything I didn't love about it. At 5'2" and 130 lbs, the small fits me perfectly. A little long but the length is perfect for climbing, hiking, and skiing.
- I am glad I finally got this. I've wanted one for a while. Breathable but yet warm and it flattering on. Wish the sleeves were a little longer when I want to use the thumb holes.
- Too long if you are 5'4
-Front center zipper allows quick venting and ease in dressing
-Has thumb holes on the sleeves to aid in layering
-Is versatile, soft for the skin, and breathable
-Serves as a mid-layer that is hooded
-Good used as a component of clothes layering or alone
-Great for all sorts of outdoor activities and sports
-Gives the same level of warmth as a bulky fleece covering
-Packs easily because it is compressible and lightweight
-Fits well under a ski helmet or other sport equipment
It has a slim zipper in the center front with a kissing-welt durable zipper garage at the top for comfort at the chin. The hood is balaclava-style and snug-fitting, plus it will fit wonderfully under the strap of a helmet. This wonderful garment is sewn Fair Trade Certified, and the fabric is approved as Bluesign certified for excellence. When layering clothes for the toughest outdoor weather, you will be glad for this terrific mid-layer of comfort and warmth retention.
Ease of Use
The Bottom Line
Being form-fitting, it makes a middle layer in dressing for the bitter cold and snow. It will ensure that moisture does not build up in the layers with the odor control feature of the material. Even though it is not the best in protection for the weather or wind, it serves its purpose well as a mid-layer or a lighter jacket used alone over a base layer for milder weather. There are other jackets on the market that are of the same weight and warmer than the R1 Fleece, but its other beneficial qualities make it the best for its purpose. We think you will like this Patagonia item just as much as we do, so why not add it to your wardrobe for an excellent mid-layer for those colder days and nights? You will be glad you own one.