Leatherman Surge Multitool
Anyone who finds themselves a fan of outdoor activities whether it be fishing, camping, hunting, or even hiking understands the need to have only best gear with you when you are facing off against the wilderness. It’s also crucial to conserve space in your pack or tackle box. This is where something handy like the perfect multi-tool can come into play. These lifesavers combine several of the tools you may find yourself in need of while out and about. They can also be used in everyday life like work and at home, the possibilities are endless.
The key to choosing the right multi-tool for you is knowing what you’re looking for in one. Are you in search of a tool that offers a multitude of uses? Is the weight and feel more important? Once you answer these questions, then durability is the next thing to take into consideration. Spending money on a multi-tool that won’t last more than a few trips outdoors is basically worthless. If you are in search of a tool that will stand up to everything you dish at it and are willing to forego your concerns with weight, then perhaps the Leatherman Surge is the one you’ve been looking for.
The Leatherman Surge offers users 21 included tools and is 100% stainless steel. This means this tool will not rust and can last you for years to come. In this review, we will discuss both the good and the bad of investing in the Leatherman Surge. This will give you the heads up you need before making such an important purchase and depending on your multi-tool when you are enjoying your time in the great outdoors.
- 21 separate tools
- Stainless Steel design fights rusting
- Several accessories available
- This multi-tool can be used for a wide variety of tasks.
- The design and materials are strong and solid.
- This tool is built with an excellent level of craftsmanship.
- It lives up to the Leatherman standard of quality.
- This tool is durable, and Leatherman stands by the quality of their tools.
- Although expensive for a multi-tool, reviewers say it is worth the price.
- The knives are decently sized and razor sharp.
- It's easy to quickly access the knife in an emergency.
- Most say it's easy to take each tool out and lock it back into place.
- There are locks on the knives for safety.
- The most often used tools are on the outside for easier access.
- The size of the handles allows for good leverage and a sturdy grip.
- The curve of the handle fits comfortably in your hand.
- It comes with a detached knife sharpener.
- A sheath for attaching it to a belt is included.
- With so many tools packed into one package, this is great to have for household tasks, hunting and fishing, camping, and on the job.
- Most buyers trust the durability.
- It's heavier than similar multi-tools on the market.
- Due to the size and weight, it is not ideal for minimal backpacking.
- This tool can meet the needs of a variety of tasks, but it doesn't excel as a single-use tool would.
- It can be a bit stiff and rigid to open when new.
- Sometimes the tools come out together instead of individually.
- Some reviewers think it could be improved if there were an option other than just needle nose pliers.
- The quality of the sheath is questionable.
- It does not have an eyeglass screwdriver like some other Leatherman multi-tools.
- If a lot of pressure is needed for a task, the metal of the handles can dig into the palm if you are not wearing gloves.
- There are quality control issues reported from people who bought through third party sellers.
- The location of the bottle opener makes it a little awkward to use.
The first tool we will talk about is the main blade. This blade is made of 420 high carbon steel and measures three inches long. This blade also incorporates a liner lock and must be pushed in to release for folding.
Scissors are popular in any model of multi-tool. This is why the Leatherman Surge made sure they incorporated it into their gear. These scissors use a leaf-spring that must be pulled down to lock the tool in a place where the spring engages with the handles of the scissors. These scissors are quite sharp and can be used for a large range of things. If you find yourself in need of cutting cordage, small rope, or even simpler things like thread, these scissors can easily handle the job. When not in use, this tool folds easily thanks in part to the disengagement of the spring and tucks away with no issue.
Most outdoorsmen or those who find themselves working in some of the more active fields such as police officers, firefighters, or even those on a farm or ranch can find daily uses of a serrated blade. This is why the Surge made sure to include one in this multi-tool. This blade is also 420 high carbon and offers a sheep-foot design. By offering a full-length serration, this tool is great at slicing through rope and other tough material. Like the main blade, pushing in allows you to release and fold down.
The Surge multi-tool also comes with a blade exchanger. The first blade is of course the saw blade. This blade offers you the opportunity to cut things such as wood, etc. It is also interchangeable with Bosch jigsaw blades, that can fit somewhat loose but can be used. The next blade used in the blade exchanger is the file blade which is cross cut and diamond-coated fine. This blade is great when you need to file down the hard edges of whatever you are working on.
The bit extension is a great way to make your Surge a full-size standard Phillips screwdriver. This extension fits into the Surge’s bit holder easily. Once you open the multi-tools handle you have better access to the leverage needed to loosen or tighten things easily.
The bit holder of the Surge incorporates Leatherman’s Proprietary bits. These thin bits are double-ended and come in quite handy. You’ll also find the bit holder uses the lock lever feature other tools of the Surge make use of.
Two built-in flat blade screwdrivers are also included with the Surge. One of these screwdrivers is a smaller, 1/8 inch flat. The other is the larger 5/16 inch flat. These screwdrivers are great to have handy when at work or play. You never know when you may find yourself needing to fix something quickly so you can continue your day.
One blade of the Surge offers three different tools to work with. A can opener, bottle opener, and wire stripper are situated on the same blade to offer the compactness you need while still ensuring you have the tools you need. When hunting, fishing, or even camping you’ll find having these three tools comes in quite handy when it comes to ensuring you stay fed.
The Surge also features an AWL that offers both a sharp end for scraping and a threaded hole that will allow you to sew heavy materials like canvas or leather. This comes in quite handy if your shelter or clothing becomes damaged and must be repaired quickly.
A lanyard ring also comes included with the Surge. When first purchasing your Surge, you will find you need to pull it out for use.
The pliers head offers several tools for anyone who chooses to purchase a Leatherman Surge. At the tapered tip, you’ll find a pair of needle nose pliers that can be used just as you would any pair of pliers in your toolbox. This plier’s head also offers a pair of regular pliers many people will find themselves needing to use regularly. Also, part of the plier’s head are replaceable hard and standard wire cutters. These cutters are amazing when you are working and need to quickly strip or cut wire. No one wants to stop the job they are doing to run down the cutters they need.
When opening the Surge Leatherman flat, you’ll find they have also added a ruler for your needs. This ruler reads in both inches and metric, aiding you when you find yourself in need of small, quick, measurements.
The Ferrocerium Rod is another accessory to the Surge. O ring packaging protects from weather to keep moisture and other issues at bay. Besides the Ferrocerium Rod, you’ll also find a small compass, striker, and storage for tinder.