Inov-8 X-Talon 212
When it comes to long-distance running, either on the trail or off, having a shoe that can handle a wide range of terrains and still keep your feet in good shape is a great thing indeed. Many runners who enjoy running on a rougher terrain chose a more minimal approach when it comes to their shoes, and one of the more popular on the market today is the X-Talon 212 running shoe from Inov-8. While it certainly takes the minimalist approach to new heights, the overall performance and responsiveness of the shoe certainly can’t be denied. If you’re looking for a shoe with a firm, yet supportive ride with nothing that will slow you down, the Inov-8 X-Talon 212 trail running shoe is certainly something to consider.
- Very responsive
- Minimalist style means that the essentials are the focus
- Works well in a wide range of terrains
- Durability could be improved overall
- Not suitable for wider feet
- I have had several pairs of these shoes over the years and I'm never disappointed. These are great shoes. They can't be beaten for the reliability and I use them for off-road running.
- Besides the blister that I got on my toe at the 6 Mile mark for my first time, wearing these shoes are superb. They look great and they have amazing grip. I run on various terrains. Lightweight as well and I would definitely buy these again.
- Compared to other runners and trainers on the market these shoes cannot be beaten for their grip. Perfect for off-road. They fit perfectly and they look good.
- It's been 20 years since I've run and now I'm starting again. These shoes are priced well and very comfortable and they look good.
- Overall I love these shoes but I do have a few complaints. They don't dry very well as the water stays at the bottom of the shoe when wet. They don't have a lot of arch support and they can be a bit narrow so buy a larger shoe size if you don't have narrow feet.
- If I could rate these shoes higher than five stars I would. They fit perfectly. I was able to overcome all terrain. They clean up well also. I highly recommend these shoes.
- So far these shoes have performed well on muddy and wet trails and large boulder mountains. Even on wet rocks the tread grips really well. I did find that they ran a little smaller but I was able to buy my normal size. I absolutely love these shoes.
- I got these shoes to run a Spartan race and I was able to buy my normal size. They fit perfectly. These are lightweight and comfortable and they look good. Love, love, love these shoes.
- I am training for my first Spartan race and I'm using these shoes. I love them. I think that putting an insert in these will help with longer wear and running.
- I like these shoes because they don't hurt my feet as most other shoes do. As far as buying a larger size like many of the reviews suggest my size fits perfectly. I've decided to buy a second pair.
- My wife loves these shoes! She used them for a Spartan race.
- These shoes were definitely more comfortable than I was expecting and they fit perfectly. I didn't get any blisters and there was no rubbing. And the grip on these shoes is sick. I feel like I can tackle any terrain. I'm excited to see how they hold up in the mud. I highly recommend these shoes.
- These shoes are lightweight and very comfortable. I love these shoes. The traction was perfect. I use these for Spartan races and running the trail. For me, they fit true to size.
- These Inov-8 X Talon 212s are amazingly comfortable. When I wear these on the trails I don't experience any irritation or sore spots. Great shoes!
- If you are running the Spartan race I highly recommend these shoes.
- I love the traction on these shoes. I got these to run a Spartan race and to run on the trails.
- These are my second pair of the Inov-8 X Talon 212s. I love these shoes.
- I love my shoes to run the hills and in the mud. I got a half size larger and they fit perfectly.
- Like other reviews have said, these run small and narrow so ordering up and wider worked for me. Great for obstacle course racing.
- Needed a shoe with great grip these are those shoes Extremely comfortable too. They fit snug but are fine after a little while. Wish they were waterproof. Worth the money and highly recommend.
- Runs small and narrow
- Shrink when washed
While most trail running shoes have a much lower heel to drop, the greater amount in this shoe actually serves to add a bit more comfort and stability overall. It allows the foot to flex and roll with a much more natural gait, even over rough terrain. While the cushioning may not be the best we’ve seen, there is no question that the mid-sole helps to distribute the weight evenly and smoothly over long distances.
Not surprisingly, one of the areas where the upper falls a bit short is in the protection area. The toe bumper is relatively thin, and the upper portion doesn’t offer much material between the runner and the environment overall.
In addition, quite a few users found these shoes to be a bit too narrow, especially in the midfoot and forefoot areas. The relatively small toe box also left some wondering if slightly more room up front would be a good addition for their cramped feet. Simply put, if you have feet that are slightly wider than normal, you might want to consider other options.
However, because of the lightweight construction, there really isn’t much in the way of protection from abrasions and rocks or debris underfoot. And while the deep groove tread does offer some relief when it comes to gravel or sharp rocks, over time the individual rocks and debris do make themselves known, sometimes painfully so.
Comparison to Other Brands
The Bottom Line
However, their lightweight and minimalist nature are not without some drawbacks. The overall support and stability in the shoes are somewhat lacking, especially over longer distances. Also, the shoes don’t stand up well to heavy and frequent use. And finally, for those with wide feet, they may be a bit too restrictive.
If you’re looking for a trail running shoe that can handle the swamps just as well as the rocky mountain foothills, and you don’t want a heavy mid-sole or outsole weighing you down, put the Inov-8 X-talon 212 on your list of prospects.