Garmin inReach Explorer+
The Garmin Inreach Explorer+ handheld Satellite Communicator features 100% Iridium satellite global coverage wherever you are in the world. It has a USB interface that can be understood easily and is simple to use. The device works via subscription plans that can be set up simply through the Garmin website. Choose a monthly or yearly plan and only the features you want to include. Some qualities are already contained in the communicator for free, such as the topographic maps used for navigation. There are built-in sensors, so you can navigate better and track your current location and future destinations. Waypoints, planned routes, and breadcrumb trail are some of the navigation choices you can choose from with the Garmin device. There is a weather component to look at the forecast for where you are and where you are going. For emergencies, this communicator has a large button on the side marked SOS, which sends a direct signal to search and rescue for you. You can remain in contact with them until help arrives. Other mobile devices can be paired with the Inreach Explorer+ to share contacts and send messages anywhere in the world to any phone or email address. These other devices can also share your location and track the progress of your trip. Friends and family will no longer have to be in the dark about how you are doing and where you are thanks to the Inreach Explorer+. With the Earthmate app, MapShare portal, and DeLorme maps, there is much to explore with this outstanding device. Let us now take an in-depth look at all of the features in greater detail.
- Includes Earthmate, Inreach, DeLorme, and MapShare apps and maps
- Is durable, lightweight, and easy to use
- Allows tracking and location sharing anywhere in the world
- Has a simple, large, colorful interface
- Can connect and communicate with other mobile devices
- Location information and messages can be linked to social media accounts
- The interface was trouble for some buyers in doing basic functions
- This device does not have a camera as one of the features
- For extra safety and peace of mind, many buyers recommend this device for all types of outdoor exploring.
- The GPS is extremely helpful when navigating overgrown trails.
- It's possible to link to smartphones via bluetooth.
- The public portal makes data shareable.
- Most buyers have had no issues using this device in less-traveled, more remote areas.
- Satellite service ensures a way to contact people while out on the trails.
- Mapping, messaging, and other features are customizable to suit your needs and preferences.
- The S.O.S. function has helped many buyers in emergency situations.
- If you can't rely on cell service where you are going, buyers recommend having this device.
- There are reasonable data plans available.
- Data plans can be changed or turned on and off based on usage.
- You can check the weather on this device.
- This device enables you to make last minute route changes and still keep loved ones informed from a distance.
- Many reviewers agree that the high price is worth it for the safety this device provides.
- The topo map helps you plan routes around difficult terrain.
- It has a rugged, high quality construction.
- For added convenience and safety, messages through the S.O.S. function and text messages include your location.
- The screen is small.
- Some buyers describe this device as clunky with an outdated interface.
- It can take a bit of time to send and receive messages.
- With tracking on continuously, the battery will drain significantly faster.
- The unit is pricey and requires purchasing a subscription.
- The GPS maps of Mexico are low resolution.
- There are reports of firmware issues and problems connecting and syncing with Mac computers and older iPhone models.
- Some reviewers note problems of delayed or failed navigation tracking.
- A subscription is needed to use any functions.
- Subscriptions must be purchased at activation.
- There is a steep learning curve for some users who are new to Garmin products and software.
- USB charging is not practical for long-term use.
- It's only possible to use up to 500 waypoints in mapping at one time which becomes inconvenient for long hiking plans.
- Issues using the Inreach website are reported by several buyers.
- Some note that the GPS lacks some of the functions that other Garmin GPS devices have.
-Has built-in sensors for navigation and location tracking
-Features topographic maps that are preloaded for free
-Contains a weather component for getting forecasts
-The navigation includes waypoints, routes, and breadcrumb trail
-Can be paired with other mobile devices
-Includes trip and cloud storage planning
-Permits location and tracking sharing with other devices
-Has global two-way interactive SOS for emergencies
-Features 100% Iridium satellite global coverage anywhere anytime
-Allows messages and texts to other mobile devices
-Locations and messages can be linked to social media accounts
It works in coordination with other mobile devices and the Earthmate app to access US NOAA charts, downloadable maps, and in-color images from aircraft. This Garmin device has preloaded TOPO DeLorme maps, a digital compass, accelerometer, and barometric altimeter courtesy of navigation sensors. The MapShare portal permits loved ones to follow your journey on their own mobile devices, and the MapShare page can be embedded on a website, blog, or social media. This outstanding communicator has 2 GB of memory and is a receiver that is high-sensitivity. You can pair it with an Android or Apple device for more convenience and capabilities such as aerial images, unlimited maps, and charts from US NOAA.
Ease of Use
The Bottom Line
Not knowing where someone is can be troublesome, and this small communicator can solve that problem. It operates by a service plan that you set up yourself online through Garmin, where you choose the features you want on your communicator. It comes with several free things like some of the maps, but you will want the other services too. This great communicator can connect with other mobile devices for messaging as well as email. It can be used on land, in the air, or on the water, so if you are planning on taking a cruise or a flight somewhere, this might be a great thing to have with you. Before your trip, you can pre-program your itinerary with the maps and navigation elements. Following this via the internal GPS and compass will keep you on track so you never get lost. Even better is the fact that your friends and family can track your movements too on their devices. Besides the maps, you can access weather predictions for the current location and the areas you will be going with the Inreach Explorer+. You will soon see when you use this terrific device that you would be lost and disconnected without it. For the best communication in remote places all over the world, give the Garmin Inreach Explorer+ a try for your next adventure away from home.