Best Mosquito Repellents
Mosquito repellents make use of two main methods of getting mosquitoes off your back. First, they have a layer that spreads on the surface of your skin. This layer is toxic to mosquitoes. Second, they play around with the sense of smell of mosquitoes. Mosquitoes identify you because of the chemicals in your skin and breath. When you apply a mosquito repellent, they won’t be able to sense these chemicals.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, EEE has a terribly scary “33% mortality rate” and “significant brain damage in most survivors.” We’re talking about a real threat, not just something that happens in other parts of the developing world. So how do you protect yourself?
Our Top 3 Picks
- The Honest Company Bug Spray
- Allergies tested
- Safe use
- Simba Mosquito Repellent
- 6-feet protection
- 3 days durability
- Burt's Bees Herbal Mosquito Repellent
- Very effective
10 Best Mosquito Repellents
The Honest Company Bug Spray
It is light in weight- you don't need any effort to handle the light can that is easy to handle.
It’s not that cheap, but again, it’s not that pricey. Balanced
Weight: 4 ounces. Light weighted as they come
Lab-tested to prove its capacity to repel mosquitoes.
The lack of: DEET, alcohol, preservatives, parabens, petrochemicals and other things, makes it very safe to use
Certified vegan and organic
- The use of it is quite safe
- Very light weighted. It can be carried anywhere with no troubles
- It's recyclable. The aluminum can be used again even after the contents have finished.
- It's friendly to those with allergies- it is unlikely to cause any allergic reactions, therefore those with allergies can also use it.
- It is not eligible to ship this spray outside of the United States of America
- It can only deter for a duration that goes up to three hours. It isn’t bad, but for continuous mosquito repel, you might want to spray a couple more times.
Simba Natural Mosquito Repellent Stickers
DEET-Free, which keeps you away of the danger of toxin
Price: It is a bit pricey, but it is so effective that it is worth the price
Weight: 3.2 Ounces. Barely noticeable
It requires no batteries whatsoever, which spares you any stress or worry about it not working.
- Simba Natural Mosquito Repellent Stickers can be attached, not only to your clothes, but also any near location. It gives you a sphere of protection worth six feet, at least
- One sticker can be used for three whole days, and the foil bag can be sealed over and over for constant use.
- The use of the stickers under none other than strict adult supervision is very unsafe
- The stickers are only to be used in external use
- Our product is NOT to be attached or in direct contact with the skin
- Not washing the hands thoroughly after use could result in bodily reaction
- Simba stickers, in any case exposed to direct sunlight, is a source of danger
Burt's Bees Herbal Mosquito Repellent
Price: it is within the reach of anyone. Easy to get. And won’t really hurt your pocket.
Contains rosemary oil
It’s 100% natural. No need to worry about getting stuff on your body that your skin won’t appreciate much.
- It takes down all sorts of bugs and insects
- It is purely natural, with one of the best oils out there
- It is very cheap, which makes it easy to get it at disposal
- This product can sadly not be shipped internationally. Only people within The United States of America can benefit from the shipping. But I guess there will be new options soon.
Murphy’s Natural Incense Mosquito Repellent Sticks
Made with essential oils. It's made from natural oils that are known to repel insects.
Price: The price is reasonable, compared to the high standards this product has.
Like the rest, it is DEET free
Weight: Its weight is probably the second thing worthy of mention here, as it weighs only 6.4 ounces. It is ideal for outings and safaris.
- With such a good price, the access to this product is easy to get to
- It is also very light-weighted. Barely any trouble to carry around
- Its scent lasts for long. It has a scent that can last for approximately 4 hours.
- It repels both bugs and insects. It has the power to drive away both bugs and insects.
- Each stick burns for two hours. Its repelling effect ends right after the two hours are over, which makes it only used for 24 hours, if wanted to be used constantly to keep bugs away.
- It has a strong scent- its strong scent might be unbearable to some people.
- It can't be used on children below 6 years- it isn't recommended for young children since it might affect them with its scent.
Babyganics DEET-Free Natural Insect Repellent
Ingredients: 100% natural essential oils—Citronella, Peppermint, Rosemary, Lemongrass & Geranium
It is DEET-Free and grease-free as well
Weight: 7.2 ounces
Price: With this affordable price, it shouldn’t be difficult to get your hands on it
- Not only does it rid you of mosquitoes, but also flies and gnats. It’s a 3-bird-with-one-stone kind of product
- With a formula free of any toxin or grease, Babyganics is very safe for daily use
- It has a pleasant smell. It's safe to use on babies since it has a scent that repels mosquitoes but pleases babies.
- It isn't sticky. Wiping it off when washing a baby is easy since its non-greasy.
- Again, this products cannot be shipped but within the United States of America. Sorry, non-Americans!
- It has never been tested on animals, so cautious is recommended for your pets safety
- It's for babies. It can't be used by adults and older children since it's specifically for babies.
- It repels a few insects- it only repels gnats, flies and mosquitoes only.
Off Deep Woods
This aerosol spray is fantastic for instantly drying on your skin. You won't feel weighed down or sticky after applying.
- Long lasting product
- Dries instantly when applying
- Can apply directly to your skin
- Not natural
- Not as pleasant to smell as some other options on our list
Kinven Insect Repellent Braided Bracelets
Weight: 0.8 ounces. They are almost weightless, so there comes no bother or discomfort with wearing them
Made out of fashionable PU leather. Designed to be easy to attach and reattach
Price: With the discount Amazon offers, you can easily get it for around $10
- With the sold offer, getting four bracelets for pretty much ten bucks is more than just a fair deal
- The protection system works for 15 days (360 hours), indoors and outdoors, which will not make you bump into mosquitoes any time soon
- Anyone, kid or adult can wear Kinven bracelets. They come in different colours to please everybody
- Their pretty-much-unfelt weight, as well as their easy ability to attach and reattach brings satisfaction and joy
- They contain no stinking sprays, no harmful chemicals and no messy oils. They scream SAFE
- They can be shipped from and within the United States of America.
- The protection tends to wear off after some time.
- If not on sale, it might be a bit expensive.
Osana All Natural Mosquito Repellent Soap
It is free of any animal products. 100% vegan
It is not toxic and friendly on children- this product does not contain any toxins that can harm the body in any way and it can also be used on children of all ages. It also does not contain any animal products.
It helps in the fight against malaria- every time you buy it, many others benefit as well. This is because Osana company donates soap to people around the world suffering from malaria. In addition to this, you also get a chance to be protected against malaria and other deadly diseases spread by mosquitoes.
It has a really pleasant smell- unlike other herbal soaps, Osana has a fragrance that is pleasant to the nose and is also gentle on the skin. It'll leave you smelling fresh all day long and keep you protected.
It is natural. Osana soap is made from natural plant products and comes in two forms; Citronella and Menthol. You'll get to enjoy nature's way of fighting mosquitoes when you use it.
It carries out more than one function. Osana not only protects the skin from the nasty and irritating mosquito bites but cleanses it from any impurity that may be brought by sweat and other impurity and keeps the skin moisturized as well.
Ingredients: Citronella Oil, Menth Leaf Extract, Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Safflower, Natural Fragrance, Water, Plant-based Preservatives
Price: Around $30 (Minus $5 with the sale Amazon offers)
Weight: 13.6 ounces
- It is very safe to use for both kids and adults. No bodily reaction feared
- Buying it prevents you from getting malaria, and provides people suffering from it with a chance to get better
- For people who shower daily, it is the ultimate weapon for a life free or mosquitoes
- It suits every type of skin and helps it be healthy
- Osuna soap bars can be shipped to places outside the United States of America
- Very pricey! Not the cheapest product you can get, as far as mosquito repellents are concerned
- It isn't readily available- many people in different countries in the world have to wait for others to buy so that they can get a bar. What's more, it's ordered online in most countries.
- It needs water- unlike other repellent products, Osana is soap and therefore it can't be used by those from areas without water.
Bug Bam! Insect Repellent Wristbands
It comes in a variety of colors- get variety from the same wonderful product. It comes in colors such as black, pink and blue, just in case you love experimenting or you love something different once in a while.
It can be recycled- you don't have to throw it away once you've used it once. Bug Bam can be used more than once and still be effective at every round.
Works for a long time. Researchers have confirmed that it has the power to be effective for up to 100 hours.
Its package is resealable. If you choose to store it after use, the resealable package offers a tidy and conducive storage for your product.
Weight: Half an ounce. Too light to feel bothered with
Price: Varies between $7 and $5 if it is on sale. Amazon has a discount that goes up to 29% from time to time
- It is very cheap. Anyone can get it and benefit from it
- It’s very light weight makes it a comfort factor
- The diversity of its colour options, plus the fact that it is wearable for both kids and adults makes of it a very wanted piece
- DEET-free. It does not penetrate the skin, nor does it inflect any bodily reaction. It’s completely safe
- It works up to a hundred hours, which grants you several days free of any bug nuisance
- It can be shaped anywhere in the world
- The more active you or your kid is, the higher chances are of being busted by a mosquito. To avoid that, it is recommended that you or your kid wear a second band in your ankle.
- It's limited in length- even though it has the capacity to stretch up to 7 inches, those with extra large wrists or ankles can't use it.
- Those without limbs can't use it- it is limited to those with arms and legs only, therefore those without cannot enjoy its services.
Natural Citizen Insect & Bug Repellent
It’s not that expensive, but it’s worth it. And as they say: “If you want the rainbow, you have to deal with the rain”
Natural spray guaranteed to rid you of bugs and insects
Lasts about four hours per use, so three uses per day, maybe four, are more than enough to keep you comfortable.
Not recommended for kids under the age of 6
Weight: 9.6 ounces
- DEET-Free, which means it isn’t toxic
- The few uses recommended per day guarantees a bug-free area
- If taken under possession of kids, it could do some serious damage, especially if they are six years old and less.
- Potential rash/bodily reaction to the use of it. Caution is most recommended.
- The smell is not really the best, but isn’t the worst either .
- Swallowing and eye touch might cause terrible pain. Beware!
- Hands are to be strictly and thoroughly washed after application.
- Storing near heat or flame could lead to serious consequences.
Criteria for Evaluation
Here are the criteria to follow as you search for a repellent:
Mosquito repellent comes in so many varieties that you have to be cautious about the one you buy. They can be in the form of lotions, oils, foams, wipes or incense sticks. Examples of repellents are permethrin, citronella oil and picaridin. It is best to get the type that is fast and effective. Experts recommend the use of repellents with active ingredients such as oil of lemon eucalyptus, picaridin, and diethyltoluamide or DEET in short. Don’t be too quick to put all your trust in commercials and their endless songs of praise for various products. Take it upon yourself to prioritize your well-being and that of your loved ones.
Many people have the habit of using products without taking the time to study the information on the product. This is dangerous since it may have negative effects on you. You can learn how to use a mosquito repellent if you read the instructions. In addition to this, you’ll learn if it’s ideal for you and your loved ones. For example, products with DEET should not be used on young children below two months of age since their skin is still sensitive. Any false move could hurt them. Reading instructions helps to let you know if the product repels mosquitoes or not. You can know about the ingredients in the product and how much of them is contained in it to know if it’s safe for you or not. Mosquito repellents are supposed to help you, not harm you.
Test The Product
It is possible that the products may contain ingredients that are higher in composition than what your skin can take. The best way to determine this is by using it once. If it burns your skin, don’t assume that it’s working. Your skin is communicating with you. It’s saying that it’s uncomfortable. Marks and swellings on the skin are also an indicator that the product is doing more harm than good on you. The best way to test a lotion is spreading it on your hands first before applying it on the rest of your body. If it’s friendly to them then it’s alright for use. Also, if you’re still bitten even after applying the repellent, this means that it isn’t serving its purpose. Don’t waste your precious money buying it.
How long the product stays active?
Different repellents have different durations of activity. Those that are made from plant ingredients, such as vanilla and citronella, have the shortest time. If you’re a heavy sleeper or you love spending time outdoors at night then these products aren’t the best for you. They last for approximately 20 minutes, meaning that you’ll use more of it within a short duration of time. Choose a product that offers over one hour of protection within the first application. Those with DEET offer up to 90 minutes of protection. The repellent you choose should suit the kind of lifestyle you live and how active you are at night. The one you use when you’re sleeping outdoors won’t be effective if you engage in sweaty activities such as jogging.
Don’t buy combined repellents
This means that you should avoid repellents that are mixed with other substances such as sunscreen. This is because their effectiveness is reduced and come to think of it, why would you need sunscreen at night? It is valid only when the sun is up. If you want to buy these products when they’re separate it’s alright. Sunscreen needs to be applied after every 2 or more hours, which means that if you apply a combined repellent it will wear off first and leave your skin vulnerable to the effects of the sunscreen. It may seem like a good idea to get a combined product since it’ll reduce the effort of applying both sunscreen and repellent at different times of the day but think of the consequences before buying them.
How and when it should be applied
A mosquito repellent should be applied in the right way based on what kind it is and the person using it. This means just the right amount should be used, they shouldn’t be used on cuts and wounds, adults should apply them on children, you should wash skin with soap and water before applying it once more, don’t use them near food and don’t use it on undergarments. If the repellent should be applied on clothes alone, use it in that manner only. These are just some of the directions given on repellents that you should look out for.
Who should use it
Different mosquito repellents are designed for a specific group of people only. If you’re pregnant, think carefully about the fetus inside. Some repellents can affect them and the mother as well. People with skin conditions and cancers can also be greatly affected if the wrong kind of repellent is used on them. If it gives you allergies or affects your health, consider another alternative. Old people and children have very sensitive senses of smell and their health is fragile. If the repellent has a strong smell, don’t buy it if you intend to use it on them. They will only be sharing in the pain of the mosquitoes. The good news is there is a mosquito repellent for everybody.
Q: Which is the most recommended repellent?
A: The one that offers fast protection from mosquitoes within a short period of time. There are a variety of repellents but each has their own level of performance. When you’re buying a repellent, look at the ingredients in it and consider the time of the night you’ll use it. Mosquitoes are mostly active at dusk and dawn during the summer months. Also, it should be friendly to your skin. You’ll realize that though mosquito repellents vary from one individual to another, the uniting factor is their ability to protect from mosquitoes.
Q: If I’m frequently attacked by mosquitoes, should I use a strong repellent?
A: No. Using a strong repellent may harm you in one way or another. The best way to repel mosquitoes is using repellent frequently or going for repellents that can protect for long periods of time, such as those with DEET. It’s important to note that the level of ingredients that repel mosquitoes doesn’t matter. Those with a high percentage of DEET offer similar results with those with a lower concentration. Highly concentrated repellents only last longer on the skin before being applied once again.
Q: Which are the best repellents to use on babies and young children?
A: There are several types that have been shown to be safe to young ones such as Endurance Cream that can be used on children who are 2 years and above, Mosi-Guard repellent that can be used on children who are 6 months and above and Expedition Sensitive repellent that’s best for children above 2 years. Always remember to read the instructions on the label and follow them to the letter if you want them to protect your lovely ones.
Q: Is there any difference between a mosquito repellent and insect repellent?
A: Not exactly. The only difference is the term ‘insect repellent’ is a more general term, meaning that the product not only repels mosquitoes but insects in general. Mosquito repellents deal with mosquitoes only. Insect repellents can be used even during the day and on clothing, but mosquito repellents are only to be used at night when mosquitoes are most active. But this can vary depending on your country. Some countries have a larger number of mosquitoes than others.
Q: Can mosquito repellents be used in other times of the year apart from summer?
A: Yes, they can. People mostly use them during summer time because this is when mosquitoes are in large numbers. The hot weather at this time is conducive for them. Summer nights are also hot and can attract many mosquitoes. It isn’t a rule that mosquito repellents are only for the summer. Feel free to use it even during autumn, spring or winter.
Q: Why is mosquito repellent important?
A: Well, for one, they drive mosquitoes away from you. But this isn’t the only advantage. Mosquito repellents protect you from bites that have been shown to cut the skin, therefore allowing bacteria from outside to get into the body. Mosquitoes spread a variety of sicknesses such as malaria, yellow fever, zika virus, West Nile virus, chikungunya virus and dengue. These, along with the uncomfortable feeling of being bitten and the scratching that results, should be reason enough to get a repellent as soon as possible. Even if you’ve never been bitten, don’t take chances. There’s a first time for everything.
Q: Are repellents containing DEET safe to use?
A: This largely depends on how they are used. DEET, which is diethyltoluamide in full, can be harmful to the skin. While this is true, it’s also the most effective ingredient in repellents. Don’t use these products more than once in a day. It is also advisable only to use them as a second option after a repellent with another ingredient. All in all, it deals very well with mosquitoes, so you should put your state of health first and the risks it brings second.
Q: Is it safe to use mosquito repellents that have expired?
A: Mosquito repellents do not expire. However, their appearance, smell and feel change when they have been in use for more than a year. Their effectiveness reduces with time. If they’re still repelling mosquitoes no matter how long you’ve been using them, then you should continue using them until they finish. Make sure that they are stored under the right temperatures and they’ll be of use to you for as long as they’re available.
Q: Should a pregnant woman use mosquito repellent?
A: Yes, she should, as long as it has DEET and it’s used according to the instructions given. Pregnant women should use them for their safety and the welfare of the fetus. With the many sicknesses that mosquitoes transmit and the health risks they give, expectant mothers should make it a point to first of all consult a specialist to confirm if the repellent will have any effect on them, then go for the type that suits them. Avoiding the right repellents, especially if you’re a pregnant woman who likes spending time outdoors, is a very risky move.
Q: In what forms do mosquito repellents come in?
A: Mosquito repellents have been made in different ways to suit different people. They come in the form of incense sticks that are lit and produce a smoke that repels mosquitoes, aerosols, oils, sprays, lotions, liquids and creams. Each variety is similar in effectiveness. When buying a repellent, go for the one that you can use with ease. For example, if you love sprays, you can use the repellent that is in the form of a spray. Make sure to wash your skin before and after using them and use them according to the instructions given. Each has a unique instruction. Never use repellent with sunscreen because the sunscreen will reduce their effectiveness.