Best Flannel Lined Pants
Ahhh, snow days. If you are 10 years old, unemployed, or happen to have a free day and no plans, this might sound like an amazing excuse to stay in by the fire and do nothing. However, in the real world, this is hardly ever the case. Have you ever woken up to frigid winter temperatures that were well below zero, snow that continued to fall with no sign of stopping, and an icy cold car that you had to start for work? Alas, you had to continue with life as if you weren’t at danger of frostbite just by looking out the window. Well, to counteract the bad news of you actually having to leave the confines of your warm abode on these days, we come with a bit of good news. Flannel lined pants. Yes, it’s true… these pants look like jeans or simple khakis but are lined with flannel and will keep you warm and comfortable while still looking professional.
While we at GWA can’t help you call in a ‘snow day’ from work, we can certainly help you get there feeling more comfortable and toasty warm. How is this? Well, we have researched the best flannel lined pants on the world wide web and made you a list. These pants will keep you warm while you shovel the driveway, head out to work, or partake in an outdoor activity during winter. For each pair, we have included a list of pro and cons to help you get a well-rounded look at the pants and decide which will be best for you. If you have additional questions or concerns, check out the criteria section to see what we considered when choosing each pair for this list.
- Carhartt Duck
- Many pockets
- Carhartt Twill
- Utility features
- Mountain Khakis Original
- Very warm
10 Best Flannel Lined Pants
Carhartt Washed-Duck Dungarees
Carhartt’s Washed Duck Flannel Lined Dungarees have excellent construction behind their design, and have reinforced stress points built-in throughout the pants, creating an extra level of durability. Plus, they have an interior lining that’s made from 100% cotton flannel, so they’ll keep you warm all day long.
Designed to have a natural, traditional fit, these pants sit naturally at your waist and are made with a full seat and thigh area. Also, they feature multiple tool and utility pockets and loops along with reinforced back pockets so they are designed to work as you work.
Carhartt’s Washed Duck Flannel Lined Dungarees come designed with 19-inch leg openings, so you can fit them easily over any work boots or footwear you need to wear. Plus, they are also machine washable, so it’s very easy to throw them in your washing machine to keep them clean no matter how much grime you encounter while outdoors.
- Many pockets and loops
- Can run long
- Can feel baggy and bulky
Designed to be both tough and warm, Carhartt’s pants are designed with durable 9.25-ounce, 100% cotton ring-spun peached twill on the outside, and on the inside of the pants, there is a 4.5-ounce liner of 100% cotton flannel offering superior warmth. These pants also fall slightly below the waist and are made to have a relaxed fit over the seat and thigh area.
Made with comfort and style in mind, these pants also have a lot of tool and utility features, including a hammer loop and two reinforced back pockets. The leg openings on these pants are made to be straight and fit well over any footwear.
Carhartt’s Flannel Lined Washed Twill Dungarees include a button closure and are also machine washable so that you’ll be able to clean them easily. With their relaxed fit, comfort, warmth, style, and utility features, they offer everything you’ll probably need to have in a pair of flannel pants.
- Warm and comfortable
- Lots of utility features
- Fit over work boots
- Can fit tight in the leg area
- Tend to fit small
Mountain Khakis Original Mountain
Mountain Khakis Flannel Original Mountain Jean is made of 100% cotton on the exterior, and on the interior of the pants, there is a full lining of the manufacturer’s flannel. These pants are also designed with the usual Mountain Khaki brand features and made to have a classic and relaxed fit.
These flannel lined pants are designed with a diamond-shaped action gusset, and designed to fit snug and well, adding a feeling of coziness. Also, these flannel pants, made to keep you warm, are still breathable enough to ensure you won’t overheat and get too hot while you’re active outside.
Mountain Khakis Flannel Original Mountain Jean also comes with five fully functional pockets, so that you can hold all the items you need as you work. Made to be durable and comfortable, these pants will help you stay warm even while the temperature is dropping outside.
- Good durability
- Lots of pockets
- Flannel lining seems thin.
- Pockets can fray after use.
- Comes in only one color.
Carhartt Ripstop Cargo
Carhartt’s Ripstop Cargo Work Pants are designed on the exterior with a 9.25 ounce, 100% cotton ripstop fabric, and on the inside of the pants, they are made with a 3.8 ounce, 100% cotton flannel lining. Also made with a relaxed seat and thigh, these pants stay well around your waist, and are made for comfort.
These pants also come with a comfortable gusseted crotch area, and are machine washable, meaning they are easy to maintain no matter how dirty you get them. They also come with two cleanout openings for knee pads in case you need extra protection while you work.
Carhartt’s Ripstop Cargo Work Pants also come with multiple utility pockets, two Cardura-lined front ledge pockets, and two Cardura-lined back pockets so that you can carry all of your tools and items with you while you work. With plenty of warmth, durability, and extra leg protection, you’ll get a lot of use out of these pants.
- Good warmth
- Good materials
- Plenty of pockets
- Can run small
- Flannel lining can feel bulky
Guide Gear Cargo
Guide Gear’s Flannel Lined Cargo Pants come with an interior of warm, built-in brushed-cotton flannel that helps to keep warmth in while pushing the cold out. Plus, these pants are also designed with a classic fit and sit well at your waist so that you feel comfortable and are able to easily move while you work.
Plus, these pants are also machine washable, so they are easy to clean and maintain even if you get plenty of grime and dirt on them as you work. Also, you get a wide variety of pockets with these pants to help you hold all the tools and items you need within reach.
On these pants, you’ll get two deep front hand pockets with a high-quality polyester lining, two rear patch pockets that snap to close so you won’t lose your items, and two large cargo pockets that will allow you to easily hold anything you need. With the warmth and protection that these pants can bring you on the coldest of days, you’ll enjoy how comfortable you feel each time you work.
- Good materials
- Lots of pockets
- Can run long
- Can shrink in the washer
Carhartt Double Front
The interior of these pants is made from a 12-ounce, firm 100% cotton ring-spun duck material, and the interior of the legs is lined with a 4.5-ounce 100% cotton flannel for extra warmth on those winter days. They are also made with long-wearing, chap-style double-front construction and also comes with a knee pad area for extra protection.
Carhartt’s Double Front Dungaree pants are made to fit over work boots, with leg openings you can easily place over any footwear. Plus, they are also machine washable, so they are easy to keep clean, and they sit comfortably at the waist with a full seat and thigh area.
Carhartt’s Double Front Dungaree pants also come with several multiple tool and utility pockets that include a left-leg hammer loop and two reinforced back pockets, so you can organize and carry what you need along with you easily. With their strength, great materials, and warmth, these pants can give anybody what they need when working outside in the cold weather.
- Very warm
- Good materials
- Plenty of pockets
- Stitching can come loose after some wear
- Tend to run small
Key Apparel Relaxed Fit
Key Apparel’s Relaxed Fit Flannel Lined Duck Dungarees are made with 100% cotton and a 12-ounce duck outer shell on the exterior, and 100% cotton flannel lining on the interior for extra warmth and comfort on the coldest of days. The hand brushed duck cotton on these pants is soft and cozy, and will feel great each time you wear these pants.
Made to be machine washable, these pants are easy to keep clean no matter how dirty they get while you work outside. Plus, they also come with a double knee feature that allows you to add extra padding at your needs if you want the extra protection.
Key Apparel’s Relaxed Fit Flannel Lined Duck Dungarees come with plenty of utility pockets so that you can organize and carry all of your tools and items with you. You get a traditional hammer loop on the pants, double utility pockets, and double bottom front pockets.
- Excellent warmth
- Plenty of pockets
- Good durability
- Pants do run small
- Can shrink in the washing machine
Dickies Relaxed Straight Carpenter
Dickies designed their Relaxed Straight Flannel Lined Carpenter Jeans with a strong 13.75-ounce denim fabric on the exterior, and a soft, comfortable 100% cotton flannel fabric on the interior for extra comfort and warmth. Plus, these jeans are also styled with a relaxed fit, so you get a lot of room in the seat and thigh area, and won’t feel restricted as you move.
Additionally, these jeans are made to be machine washable, so they are easy to maintain no matter how much muck you might encounter while working outside. These pants also have rivets at all stress points, triple stitched seams and a heavy-duty brass zipper for extra durability.
Dickies Relaxed Straight Flannel Lined Carpenter Jeans come with dual tool pockets and a hammer loop, so you can carry your tools and items with you anywhere you need to take them. With a lot of durability and warmth, these jeans offer you another option to help you stay warm while working outside in the cold weather.
- Good warmth
- Very durable
- Front pockets could be at a better angle.
- Tend to run small.
- Come in only one color.
Outback Rider Dark Indigo
Designed with a heavy denim fabric on the exterior of the jeans, the interior of Outback Rider’s Dark Indigo Flannel Lined Relaxed Fit Jeans are made with a full flannel lining that will keep you warm on cold winter days without causing overheating. These pants also come with a relaxed fit and are flexible, so they move well with you and won’t restrict any of your activities.
Outback Rider’s Dark Indigo Flannel Lined Relaxed Fit Jeans are also designed to be machine washable, so they are easy to maintain no matter what you encounter when you wear them. They also are designed with riveted stress points and a full bonded “buffalo plaid” lining to make them durable and long-lasting.
Outback Rider’s Dark Indigo Flannel Lined Relaxed Fit Jeans also come with five pockets, so you can hold all of the tools and items you need while you work. The design is strong and they provide the warmth you’ll want to have when the temperature drops outside.
- Plenty of pockets
- Zipper can break
- Can run small
Smith's Workwear Cotton Chino
Smith’s Workwear Cotton Flannel Lined Twill Chino Relaxed Fit
Pants are made with a heavyweight cotton twill fabric on the exterior of the pants and brushed flannel lining on the interior, for a boost in warmth during the winter. Plus, these pants are designed with a relaxed fit, so they move easily with you, won’t restrict your activities, and feel flexible and comfortable all day long.
These pants are reasonably priced and are also machine washable, so you can clean them easily no matter how much grime you might encounter outside. Also, they are designed with open side pockets and button closure back pockets and are designed for casual or outdoor work days. The only gripe we hear about these pants is the sizing. Some people can't seem to find their size and others complain that the size they received seemed larger than what the tag reads. It may be best to order a couple sizes to try on and see what fits you best.
- Very warm
- Good for casual use or work use
- Waist size run small
- Can stain easily
- Could come in more colors
Criteria Used For The Evaluation
When evaluating what you might need to select the best pair of flannel pants that will fit your needs, you’ll want to look at a few criteria points and make sure the pants are up to your standards. We’ll examine fit, weight, and features in detail below to give you an idea of how you’ll want to evaluate your choices in flannel pants.
Flannel Lined Pants Fit
Flannel pants come in three different fit categories, which are classic, relaxed, and slim. We’ll cover each one below.
- Classic fit. Flannel-lined pants designed with the classic fit are usually what we’d call an average, or standard fit. They are a bit snugger than some of the other fit categories, which can restrict movement unless the pants are designed with flexible materials.
- Relaxed fit. Flannel-lined pants made with the relaxed fit style usually provide you with a lot of extra room in the pants, which you’ll find in the seat and thigh area. You get a roomier type of pant with this fit, and plenty of freedom to move with or without flexible material designed into the pants.
- Slim fit. Slim fit pants are more contemporary and designed with slimmer legs when compared to classic and relaxed fit pants, but also don’t fit too tight in important areas. With slim fit pants, the pants are still designed to include leg openings that will fit over work boots.
As far as fit goes when you’re selecting your flannel-lined pants, the most popular fit is the relaxed fit, because it offers plenty of space and freedom to move. However, that doesn’t mean that you might not like some of the classic slim fit design pants, because much of this depends on the brand, fabric flexibility, and personal preference.
When figuring out what fit works best to you, you’ll need to look at the fabrics in the pants to see their flexibility levels, and it also is a great idea to go to the store and try on a few different types of fits with varying brands to see what is most comfortable for you.
Flannel Lined Pants Fabrics
Most flannel-lined pants are made out of one of the two standard fabrics: cotton duck or denim. Remember, the cotton duck fabric has no relation to ducks and is actually a name for a durable type of cotton.
What can you expect if you buy either denim or cotton duck flannel pants? We’ll break that down for you in more detail below.
- Denim pants. With denim, you get pants that are known to “break-in” to fit well as you work. Basically, the more often you wear and wash denim pants, the more comfort you’ll experience and the better they will fit you. Denim work pants are designed with thicker materials than your standard, casual jeans. Also, many denim work pants come with flannel-lined material to help keep you warm while you work outside. Denim pants don’t tend to be as durable, strong, and long-lasting as duck cotton pants, but are usually more comfortable.
- Cotton duck pants. Cotton duck pants tend to be more durable than denim, and since they have a smooth surface of the material on the exterior of the pants, they won’t snag and tear as often as denim will when you are working outside. Also, most cotton duck pants aren’t flame-resistant, but they work better than denim will in high-heat situations, like welding or other activities. Cotton duck pants can also work like denim and become more comfortable as you wear and wash them, but overall, they tend to not fit as comfortably as denim.
Some brands also make special fabric blends, like cotton combined with nylon to add flexibility or a cotton duck fabric that can resist flames. Typically, brand-specific fabrics still include some kind of cotton or denim on the exterior of the pants.
So, when you’re trying to decide if you want denim or cotton flannel pants, what do you need to think about? Really, focus on whether or not you’ll be around fire or flames, and if so, then you’re probably better off with cotton duck pants. The other major factor you’ll have to decide is whether you want pants that are more durable, or pants that are more comfortable, because depending on the material you pick, you may have to sacrifice one or the other.
If comfort is a major feature for you, then you’ll want to go with denim flannel-lined pants, since they do tend to feel much cozier when you’re working. However, if durability is your main priority, the duck cotton pants will be the better option for you.
Also, you’ll need to know a little bit about fabric weights, as that’s another feature of fabric that could factor into your decision. Most manufacturers of flannel pants will list the weight of the fabric in the description—so knowing what that means can help you make your decision easier. Heavier fabric weights, like 14 ounces in fabric, is usually found on heavy-duty work clothes and works better in colder temperatures. Lighter fabric weights can be less durable, and usually works better for warmer weather. Since you’ll want to focus on warmth when working outside in the winter, a heavier fabric is probably the better option, and will also offer a lot of durabilities.
Plus, some flannel pants come with other features that help strengthen the design, like reinforced seams and double knees. However, how much weight in a fabric you can take is a matter of personal preference, since some people still prefer lightweight pants even when the weather is cold. So, again, this is a good time to try on a few pairs of flannel pants to test out weights and see what feels best for you.
Flannel Lined Pants Work Features
Flannel Lined Pants also come with a wide variety of outdoor work features that can really aid a person planning on doing a lot of outside projects during the colder winter months. Several of the features on these pants add durability to make the pants long-lasting, while others offer features that will help you hold your tools and items easier.
Depending on what you plan to be doing outside while you wear your flannel pants, you can opt for, or opt out of, some of these features depending on the brands and styles you select. Most extra work features you’ll find on flannel pants include:
- * Strong seam construction. Many brands make their flannel pants with triple-stitched main seams or with taped seams, which helps keep the pants together longer even if you wear them often and put them through a lot of abuse.
- * Extra rivets. Several styles and brands we provided on our list use rivets on their pants and these rivets help to reinforce steams to make them stronger and last longer.
- * Bartacks. Some brands and styles of flannel pants come with bartacks designed into them, which are extra reinforced stitching.
- * Strong zippers. Many options of flannel pants include strong zippers that are made to hold up against dirt and grime and last longer than the average zipper found on more casual pants.
- * Durable Water Repellant (DWR). Although not as common of a feature on flannel pants, some styles include DWR treatments to help keep water away from your body as you work, helping to repel moisture.
- * Extra, wider, and stronger belt loops. Another major feature you’ll find with flannel pants is reinforced belt loops that are often stronger and wider, and many times pants have more than one loop. This is a great feature to have if you need to hold a hammer or anything else in your loop while you work.
- * Reflective tape to increase visibility. Some brands also make their flannel pants with reflective features to keep you both visible and safe.
- * Wind blocking features. Although not a standard in all flannel pants, you’ll find many brands that do offer pants with wind blocking technology. Many of Carhartt’s flannel pants include this feature.
The features you’ll want in your flannel pants will depend much upon what you plan to do while you are outdoors. If you plan on doing a lot of outdoor construction work, then flannel lined pants that offer loops and pockets are probably a great idea. Also, in most cases, weather and wind protection is optional and can cost you more, but it’s a nice feature to have if you know the weather will be nasty. Still, weather protection is not found in all pairs of high-quality flannel lined pants, so if you need this, look carefully.
Q: Should I choose duck cotton or jean flannel lined pants for work?
Jeans have historically been the type of pants most people wear when doing work outdoors, or even engaging in activities for fun while outside. When jeans were first made, they were designed with things like durable metal rivets because they were supposed to be used for working outside. Many miners used them during the California Gold Rush for just that reason.
However, if you want flannel lined work pants, remember that jeans are not your only option. Just because you plan on working outside does not mean your flannel lined work pants must be jeans—there are plenty of flannel lined worked pants that also come in duck cotton, and each material offers its own set of benefits and drawbacks.
Duck cotton flannel lined pants will offer you more durability, while denim will provide you with more comfort. What you really feel you need in your work pants will be up to your personal preference, and you don’t have to lean towards denim just because it’s the more traditional option.
Q: What are the main reasons to purchase flannel lined pants?
Aside from the obvious fact that flannel lined pants are warm, they can serve you in very tangible ways during winter.
- They look like a pair of jeans, but they feel like pajamas. When it comes to heading out for your day of winter living, this combo of comfort and looks is really optimal.
- Frozen legs will no longer be a thing. Let’s say you just got out of a movie, but you had to park in the outskirts of the massive parkade, with your flannel pants on, you will not need to put up with that feeling of your legs turning frozen.
- You have better protection from the wind. The extra layer really does create a better wind barrier.
- You will be warm no matter where your day takes you. Some people work in offices that just don’t seem to ever be heated properly, or maybe there is a long walk from the car to point B, and perhaps, you are just one of those people who are always cold. No matter where you go in your day, with flannel lined pants on, you will stay warm.
Q: If I do buy flannel lined pants, which styles are best for outdoor activities?
Flannel pants come in a wide variety of style options, but the best styles for outdoor activity are usually cargo pants, carpenter pants, and bootcut pants. All of these styles have essential features and functions that can better help you meet your outdoor needs.
- * Cargo pants. Cargo pants are a popular option for those working outdoors since they have very large pockets that come with them. The large pockets found on these pants make it very easy to carry the equipment you might need along with you.
- * Carpenter pants. Carpenter pants also have many different pockets and feature extra loop areas that can hold tools. Most of these pants are made with work and labor in mind but aren’t as useful if you plan on doing other outdoor activities in them. While they have several pockets, they usually aren’t as large as those featured on cargo pants.
- * Bootcut pants. As a fashion statement, this style is pretty popular, and one benefit for work-oriented flannel-lined pants here is that the flared leg is easy to place over work boots. If you know you’ll need, or are required, to wear work boots when working outdoors, these pants make a good option. However, if you are planning on wearing your flannel-lined bootcut pants outdoors, you’ll want to consider getting them in a strong material for extra durability.
Q: If I plan on loading myself up with tools, should I order a size down?
No, no matter how much weight you plan on adding to the pockets or hooks, it is not recommended to order a size smaller than usual. This could limit your movement and would definitely be less comfortable. An easy solution to this would be adding a belt to your work get-up. This way you still have the same movement in your legs and the pants stay secured around your waist.
Q: Should I wear an extra layer under my flannel lined pants?
Well, this is definitely a matter of choice. If you aren’t someone who normally wear undergarments, why start now? While these pants will definitely help to keep you warm, if it is an extremely cold day, you may want to add a layer of long johns underneath. With this in mind, if you do plan on adding an extra thick layer underneath, it is advisable to order a size up so that the pants won’t be too tight on your legs.
The style of flannel pants you settle on will really be up to you, and again it’s a good idea to try on the different styles to see what you like. The better you feel, the more you’ll like working in your flannel pants.
When settling on a pair of the best flannel pants that will suit you for all of your outdoor activities and needs, you’ll want to think about how comfortable you want your pants to be, the level of durability you’ll need, and the type of work you will be doing so you can decide on the types of pockets, loops, and other features you’ll want. Once you know these factors, you should be able to settle on the best flannel pants for your plans.
With a high-quality pair of flannel pants, you’ll always stay warm while you’re working outside, and you’ll have what you need to carry your tools along with you. So, if you have a lot of outdoor projects you’ve planned during the colder winter weather, you should be able to still achieve what you want even when the temperature drops as long as you purchase a great pair of flannel lined pants.