Best Oakley Sunglasses
For the outdoor enthusiast, finding sunglasses that provide both fashion and great eye protection can sometimes be a challenge. Purchasing a pair of sunglasses that can help you see better, protect your eyes, and improve upon your personal performance while allowing you to look good might sound like a difficult endeavor, but if you take a look at some of the products offered by Oakley, you’ll find sunglasses that meet all of your demands.
Oakley has been well-known for decades as a sunglass company that provides excellent fashion to sunglasses used for sports. For instance, all of Oakley’s offerings come with High Definition Optics to help you see well while providing you with a durable pair of sunglasses so you have peace of mind. Since there are several different options to choose from when searching for a pair of Oakley sunglasses, we’ve decided to help save you time by giving you an overview of their best products.
10 Best Oakley Sunglasses
Oakley Men's Flak Jacket Iridium Sunglasses
Oakley’s Flak Sunglasses come with easy-to-use interchangeable lenses that allow you to switch out lenses quickly so that you can increase your performance while outdoors at any time. These sunglasses are made to fit since they are designed with Oakley’s Three-Point Fit system to help keep your lenses in place, even during the most excruciating of outdoor sports activities.
Made to offer increased clarity of vision, Oakley’s Flak Sunglasses come with Oakley’s High Definition Optics (HDO) technology. Also, you get two different sizes of nose pads with your pair of sunglasses, so you can make sure your sunglasses fit you comfortably. Plus, both the stem sleeves and the nose pads are made of Unobtanium, which means that even while you sweat, your sunglasses will stay in place and not slip off your nose.
- Lenses stay in place.
- Comfortable fit.
- Comes with interchangeable lenses
- Expensive sunglasses for the technology offered.
- Vision clarity is not as optimal as with polarized lenses.
Oakley Industrial Tombstone Spoil Sunglasses
Oakley’s Industrial Tombstone Spoil Sunglasses are made to help you with both your field of view as well as your contrast and clarity of vision while you are active outside. Plus, they offer lens interchangeability options so that you can adapt your vision for anything. The sunglasses both look good and fit comfortably since they are lightweight.
Oakley’s Industrial Tombstone Spoil Sunglasses are designed with eye-tracking technology, providing you with 120 degrees of vision unlike many other outdoor sunglasses on the market. Plus, these sunglasses come with PRIZM technology which helps you focus better on target areas while reducing the effects of eye strain.
- 120 degrees of vision.
- PRIZM technology to reduce eye strain.
- Easily adaptable
- Frames tend to wear easily.
- Not full-seal eye protection
- Can fall off with quick movement.
Oakley Gascan Sunglasses Matte Black
Oakley’s Gascan Sunglasses come with a very innovative style, made from one lens shield and then placed in a frame designed to keep the original contour of the frames. They are light and comfortable, yet still made to be durable so that they are built to last for years. With Oakley’s Gascan Sunglasses, you’ll experience excellent clarity of vision while knowing your eyes are protected.
The frames on Oakley’s Gascan Sunglasses are made from O Matter, which makes them very lightweight. They also come with Oakley’s Three-Point Fit system, meaning they will stay in place, fit comfortably, and provide you the best vision. The lenses on these sunglasses also filter out all UVA, UVB, and UVC rays.
- Durable, lightweight frames
- Stay in Place
- Lenses can scratch easily
- Thickness of frames on side can block vision.
Oakley Fuel Cell Sunglasses
Oakley’s Fuel Cell Sunglasses look great while helping you to see better. The frames are strong and durable, and you’ll get all the benefits of Oakley’s comfortable Three-Point Fit system. Plus, these sunglasses feel incredibly lightweight when worn, and offer the benefits of polarized lenses. You’ll get excellent visibility from the lenses combined with strong eye protection.
Oakley’s Fuel Cell Sunglasses are made from one shield of Plutonite, and then put into the frames to keep the continuous contour of the look. These lenses offer Oakley’s High Definition Optics technology combined with Polaric Ellipsoid lens genometry, so your vision clarity includes your peripheral view. These Oakley sunglasses are also made with 100% UV protection, so your eyes will always be protected from the sun.
- Polarized protection
- Blocks all UV rays
- Very stylish
- Doesn’t fit all faces well.
- Lenses could be more scratch resistant.
- Sides of frames can feel flimsy.
Oakley Radar EV Pitch Sunglasses
Oakley’s Radar EV Pitch Sunglasses are made with a unique design and a taller lens style that helps extend your vision’s upper range. This style allows for increased protection whenever you need to look up quickly, protecting your eyes from the sun and glare that might cause temporary sun blindness. Also, you’ll get interchangeable lenses so you can adjust your vision no matter where you are. Another bonus is that these shades allow for increased airflow, meaning you’ll stay cooler.
Made with plastic frames and polycarbonate iridium lenses, these shades are very strong and durable considering how lightweight they are. The lenses are made to help you see no matter how much glare and sun try to interfere with your vision outside, and also do a fantastic job of protecting your eye. You also get Oakley’s stress-resistant O Matter frame technology, which means your shades are built to last.
- High lenses to help protect from the sun.
- Made for increased airflow.
- Comfortable and lightweight.
- Not great for bike riding, can fall off.
- Lenses can scratch easily.
Oakley Half Jacket 2.0 Sunglasses
Oakley’s Half Jacket Sunglasses bring you a fashionable look with these comfortable, lightweight frames. The sunglasses stay put because of Oakley’s innovative Three-Point Fit system combined with their use of unobtainium material which keeps your sunglasses in place even while you sweat. These sunglasses are also semi-frameless, which increases your ability to see more easily when you look down.
The O Matter frame material that makes up the frames of Oakley’s Half Jacket Sunglasses are both durable and stress resistant. The frames are made to last and stay put no matter what activities you perform outdoor. Plus, these Oakley sunglasses come with interchangeable lenses that include High Definition Optics, meaning your vision will be clear. Your eyes will also be protected from the sun because the lenses on these shades offer 100% UV protection.
- Semi-rimless shades for increased downward vision
- Lightweight, durable frames
- 100% UV Protection
- Tend to run small
- Lenses can scratch easily
Oakley Fives Squared Sunglasses
First of all, Oakley’s Fives Squared Sunglasses were designed for style, and come in a wide variety of colors to meet your needs. Plus, the sunglasses offer excellent eye protection while also providing optimal vision clarity, which is beneficial no matter what outdoor adventures you plan. You’ll look good while you are able to see better.
These Oakley sunglasses are made up of both plastic frames and lenses for increased comfort and durability. The frames are lightweight and strong, but also comfortable since they are made to fit well and stay on while you seat. Plus, the lenses offer you 100% UV protection, helping to keep your eyes safe while you increase your visibility and improve your performance.
- Stylish appearance
- 100% UV protection
- Strong and durable
- Frames seem cheaper than described
- Lenses scratch easily
Oakley Turbine Rotor Sunglasses
Oakley’s Turbine Rotor Sunglasses are stylish, comfortable, and lightweight. Like most of Oakley’s other options in sunglasses, these shades will stay on your face no matter how much activity you put yourself through, since they can withstand sweat without slipping off. The lenses are also made to provide protection and visual clarity.
Oakley’s Turbine Rotor Sunglasses come with durable, plastic frames made to handle the stress and abuse of all of your outdoor activities. Made up of Oakley’s O Matter frame material, you’ll feel safe knowing your frames will last through your adventures. The Unobtanium nosepads and earsocks on these sunglasses help these shades to stay put no matter how much you sweat. Also, the lenses come with the UV protection of Plutonite material, which keeps out 100% of all UV Rays.
- Designed to stay on
- 100% UV Protection
- Lenses can break after some use.
- Fit too tightly on larger faces.
Oakley Batwolf Sunglasses
Oakley’s Batwolf Sunglasses were designed with fashion in mind, and come with a set of two interchangeable lenses of alternate colors. You’ll be able to change out your lenses quickly, giving your glasses an entirely new look. Plus, the shades are made to both increase your visibility and protect your eyes from the sun.
Oakley’s Batwolf Sunglasses are made from plastic, O-Matter frames. They are designed to be both comfortable and lightweight, and also stay on your face no matter how active you may get while outdoors. Made with Oakley’s Three-Point Fit system, these shades will stay on your face and fit you comfortably as you pursue your outdoor goals. The lenses on Oakley’s Batwolf Sunglasses are non-polarized and bring you 100% UV protection, keeping your eyes safe from the sun’s rays.
- Sporty look
- Comes with different colors of interchangeable lenses to change your look.
- 100% UV Protection
- Doesn’t fit larger heads well
- Doesn’t always sit on the face evenly with some head sizes
Oakley Oil Rig Sunglasses
The appearance of Oakley’s Oil Rig Sunglasses are impressive since the frames are made from redesigned stem architecture. The features of the shades are striking, but still, provide that classic Oakley look since the lens is single and continuous. The single lens also works to increase your vision and clarity as you actively perform your outdoor activities.
Oakley’s Oil Rig Sunglasses are made from Oakley’s O Matter frame material, meaning they are lightweight, plastic, and strong. The shades are also made as a one-size-fits-all design, taking some of the work out of finding sunglasses that fit properly. Your eyes will be protected well since the lenses provide 100% UV protection, and you’ll get the increased clarity and vision offered by Oakley shades.
- Single, continuous lens for increased vision and style.
- Fashionable lenses.
- Redesigned stem architecture
- Arms on frames can loosen
- Hinges can squeak
Criteria Used for the Evaluation
When you’re searching around to purchase the best pair of Oakley sunglasses for you, you need to consider your face shape. Exactly how your face is shaped will dictate quite a bit about which sunglasses will look the best on you. If you have a heart-framed face shape, then you’re one of the luckiest people because any type of sunglass frames will most likely fit your face. If your face is round, however, then think about buying rectangle shaped frames. Make sure you take a close look at your face shape so that you wind up with a pair of glasses that look like they fit you, rather than appearing strikingly out-of-place.
Make Sure Your Oakleys Are Authentic
When purchasing Oakleys, beware of scams and fraud pairs of sunglasses. Make sure the pair you buy is authentic. Oakleys typically come in a soft pouch or hard case with the Oakley brand logo clearly placed on the sunglass holder. Also, Oakleys should always be sold with a certificate of authenticity so that they are verified as real Oakleys. To know whether or not you are purchasing a pair of authentic Oakleys, make sure you look closely at the documentation you get. True Oakley sunglasses never come with stickers on the lenses or frames.
Examine the Frames
Depending on what you plan to be doing outdoors with your new pair of Oakleys, you want to make sure you get the right type of frames. Frames are an extremely important factor because they are the part of the sunglasses that effectively keep the shades together and hold the frames on your face. The style you pick will dictate how well the frames stay in place when you wear them, and also determine if the sunglasses correctly fit your face. So, look for shades that fit comfortably and stay in place when you wear them so your sunglasses will always look right.
Take A Look At Style Options
One great thing about Oakley sunglasses is that you wind up with a wide selection of styles and colors to pick from. Oakley designs their various frame styles to fit different types of face shapes to ensure their sunglasses fit correctly on people who are active outdoors. Most pairs of Oakleys come in one of four style categories, covered below.
- Lifestyle Styles. These sunglasses are made to be functional for daily wear and focus more on style than durability and performance. Lifestyle sunglasses are typically not the best choice for the active outdoor enthusiast.
- Active Styles. Active style frames are designed to be used by people who are very active outside. Typically, these sunglasses come with frames that are metal or plastic.
- Sports Styles. These styles were made to be used by active outdoor enthusiasts as well, and hold up well when you’re engaging in a sport. With sports styles, you get the rubber grip with your nose piece to keep the sunglasses on your face no matter how active you are.
- Shield Styles. These sunglasses are made to be comfortable and can be worn by people using prescription classes. These types of frames usually come with the single, continuous lens rather than two separate ones.
When making your selection for what type style you want, you need to consider how active you’re going to be when you are playing outside. If you purchase a pair of sunglasses that aren’t made for active people and take them out on an outdoor trip, they’re far more likely to fall off your face. If that happens, your sunglasses are at a much greater risk for getting lost or destroyed. So, it’s important for you to consider the right type of style for your activity level.
Consider Lens Options
With Oakleys, the characteristics of the sunglasses you purchase will determine what type of materials the shades were made out of. For lens features, Oakleys typically come with style options like polarized, photochromic, hydrophobia, and prescription.
- Polarized lenses provide a great option for the outdoor enthusiasts, since they help cut back on glare from the sun. This factor can help improve your vision as you are active, boosting your performance.
- Hydrophobia lenses are excellent for repelling water. So, if you tend to pursue a lot of water sports, these shades will probably be a great choice for you.
- Photochromic lenses are also a nice feature to have. With these lenses, your shades will automatically adjust each time you face a different light condition.
How you select your lenses should depend on the types of outdoor activities you plan to partake in when you are wearing your Oakley shades. For instance, if you plan to engage in a lot of land activity like biking, hiking, or running, polarized lenses are a great choice. However, if you’re going to be outside and near water often, like for fishing or boating activities, then hydrophobia lenses are probably your best option.
Oakley is well-known for making more than just sunglasses. Alongside their sunglasses, they also produce several types of accessories to help you add to the life of your sunglasses. For instance, Oakley has a variety of cases you can utilize to help protect your shades when you’re not wearing them. They also offer a variety of cleaning kits that can help keep your lenses clean without scratching them. Another benefit of purchasing Oakleys is that if your lenses wear out, Oakley offers a variety of lenses to choose from so you can simply replace your lenses without having to buy a new pair of Oakleys.
Q: What’s the most important thing to consider when purchasing a pair of Oakley sunglasses for outdoor activities?
If you’re planning on using your sunglasses for various outdoor activities, then you’ll have to move beyond attempts to just make a fashion statement with style. While Oakley offers a large variety of colors and styles to choose from to help you make a great fashion choice, the thing you’ll really want to consider if you are using your sunglasses for outdoor use is protection. Knowing that your eyes are shielded from the sun’s UV rays is an important factor for sunglasses that will be used outdoors, so you’ll want to take a close look at the types of lenses you’re likely to receive.
Protecting your eyes from the sun’s harmful UV rays, especially for those that spend a lot of time outside and especially near the water, can help protect your eyes from a wide variety of diseases over-exposure to sunlight can cause. So, you want to pick sunglasses that come with UV protection and also help to shield you from glare.
The good news is that Oakley’s sunglass lenses are pretty standardized to offer you 100% UV protection from the sun. Also, several versions of their sunglasses come polarized so that you can also shield your eyes from glare and increase your vision during your outdoor activities. However, the tints and colors of the lenses you purchase also tend to dictate how well you see and how well your eyes are protected.
Q: What can I expect from the different types of lens colors Oakley offers?
Depending on what you plan to do while you are outdoors, you’ll want to consider how lens color can affect both your protection and your vision. While you might be inclined to pick your favorite color as a lens option because it appeals to you, it might not be the best color option for your eyes. Luckily, many Oakley sunglasses come with interchangeable lenses of different colors, letting you adjust your sunglasses easily to fit your needs.
Here is a breakdown on the various choices you have in lens color when purchasing Oakley sunglasses, and what those lens choices can do for you.
- Blue or purple lenses. Most people feel that both blue and purple lens colors are stylish and look appealing on Oakleys. Of course, this is excellent because blue and purple lenses not only look good, but also provide you with some benefits while you are outside. Both colors help to cut back on glare effectively while boosting color as well as contour visibility. It’s also easier to see out of blue or purple lenses when the weather becomes adverse, like during rain, fog or snow. Blue or purple lenses are so effective for shielding your eyes from glare they block out visible white light, making it much easier to perform when the weather turns for the worst.
- Yellow lenses. While they might not be as cosmetically appealing as blue or purple lenses, these types of lenses can help block out blue light. Reducing the intensity of blue light will help you to focus better while you are outside. Yellow tints are known to distort colors a bit, but work well when it’s dark or shady because they boost visibility. Using yellow lenses will allow you to keep your vision sharp, and they also help cut back on glare if the weather is foggy.
- Brown or amber lenses. Because these lenses have some red in their coloring, they’ll boost both your contrast and depth perception. Plus, they also help filter out blue light, which is an excellent benefit to have if the weather is sunny or slightly cloudy. If you plan on pursuing outdoor activities and live in a place that often has significant weather pattern change daily, this color of lenses will probably be the best choice for you since they will help you improve both your vision and clarity for a wide variety of weather conditions.
- Pink or red lenses. Red tints always do a great job of increasing your visual depth because of their ability to reduce blue light, helping you to see contrast better. Also, if you are going to ear your sunglasses for long periods of time, you’ll probably find these color choices to be the most comfortable options. The comfortability level of both of these options decrease your chances of getting eyestrain. Plus, both tints provide you with better clarity of vision no matter what weather conditions you may face.
- Green lenses. Green lenses also work well in most weather conditions, and helps to improve your vision. Green tints makes all colors appear even, and also helps to block out glare while making shadows appear more visible. Unlike some other colored tints on lenses, green lenses are able to work completely effectively during any weather condition.
- Gray lenses. These lenses are great for people who know they will be in the sun often, since they provide total UV ray protection. Typically they are also the darkest tint you can use. Even though the tint is dark, they still give you the accurate ability to perceive color while blocking out glare. Grey lenses are also the most effective tint for reducing glare that can come off of water, which will help you if you engage in water sports. Plus, grey lenses also help prevent eyestrain so that your eyes will never feel tired.
Q: What lens colors are the best for different outdoor sports activities?
If you’re an outdoor enthusiast, you probably want to know what lens colors work best for certain types of outdoor activities. Below we’ve listed what tints will work best for different types of sports.
- Blue and purple lenses. The USPTA endorses this lens tint for a reason—they filter out glare caused by visible white light. Therefore, you’ll notice tennis pros often use them.
- Yellow lenses. Yellow lenses work best for people performing activities like target shooting, skiing, mountain biking, or aircraft flying because the boost visibility whether it’s sunny or shady outside. Even if the weather turns from sunny to foggy, you’ll still be able to see well out of these sunglasses.
- Brown and amber lenses. This lens color works great for sports that require you to see distances clearly so you can more effectively calculate your moves. They work well for sailing and high-altitude sports where being able to see effectively from far away will increase your performance. Plus, when you’re dealing with sports that may deal with lower lighting conditions, like playing a sport either during the early morning or late evening, you’ll get more effectiveness from brown lenses. Brown also works great for golfers since it helps you see the contrasting elements of green grass while out on the golf course.
- Pink and red lenses. If you enjoy racing or cycling, you’ll probably want to opt for pink or red. Both pink and red tints will let you see better when you’re out on the road. In fact, some people who work on their computers for extended periods of time even use these tints because they help reduce the eye strain that often comes with the glare being produced by a computer screen.
- Green lenses. If you play a wide variety of outdoor activities, then green lenses might be the best choice for you. Green tints work great in just about any outdoor weather and light condition, so you can wear them during any outdoor adventure. If you’re a versatile outdoor enthusiast, then you’ll want a versatile lens tint like this.
- Gray lenses. These types of lenses work well for particular outdoor activities including baseball, football, soccer, and especially water sports. If you enjoy fishing or participate in activities that put you in or near the water often, you’ll be able to see much better with gray lenses because they effectively block the glare that reflects off of the water. Also, this lens tint has been used by the military for nearly fifty years because they help increase eye safety when exposed to UV rays, and they also help to effectively block out glare.
Q: If I am outside often, should I consider polarized lenses or flash mirror lenses?
Really, determining if you need polarized lenses or flash mirror lenses will depend a lot on the outdoor activities you plan to undertake. Below we break down both options.
Polarized sunglasses do typically help many outdoor enthusiasts because they block out glare very effectively. Light reflects off certain surfaces while you are outside, increasing glare and sometimes creating temporary sun blindness. If you’ve noticed that you’ve had the experience of temporary sun blindness often while you’re participating in your outdoor activities, then getting polarized lenses is probably a great idea.
Polarized lenses generally help people who experience temporary sun blindness from glare often while outside, which is a possibility that will increase if you’re involved in sports that involve the water. Sunlight reflecting off of water can create a significant amount of glare and cause eyestrain. Polarized lenses can help effectively reduce this.
Flash Mirror Lenses
Flash mirror lenses tend to not change color perception, or create enough of a difference in clarity for you to notice. However, they are extremely reflective and do help to block out 100% of UV rays. When searching for Oakleys’, however, you can rest easy knowing they have developed all of their lenses to effectively block out all UV rays. When searching around to purchase your Oakleys, you won’t need to worry about flash mirror lenses.
Oakley’s wide variety of sunglass options for outdoor enthusiasts provide you with the opportunity to find a stylish pair of shades you can utilize during your outdoor adventures. With their wide selection of designs and style options, you’ll be able to select the perfect pair for you, and know that your sunglasses are made with the strength and durability to endure any abuse your activities might create. You’ll be able to look good while you enhance your vision and protect your eyes, improving your performance and style. Oakley has been a leader in the sunglass market for decades because they create excellent sunglasses that protect your eyes while improving your performance.